So I find myself in the position of organising TEDxYouth@Sydney, an event in November this year where young people will come together to share ideas in a similar style to other TED and TEDx events. If you don’t know what a TED event is, visit TED.com and education yourself. Now. No, seriously, now.
The event will be on November 20th at the Powerhouse Museum. Participation will be open to anyone aged 12 to 16, on the basis of a written and video submission. Presentations will be by young people, for young people. Other than that, we are still in the planning stages and negotiating the finer details.
Many people I mention this to express a desire to help, which is absolutely awesome, but this early there are not necessarily a lot of things it is easy to help with. However, there are several very specific areas I would be very open to assistance with should you be interested in contributing to the project. If you are keen and have skills/experience in these areas (or want to put me in touch with someone who does), drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Securing sponsorship to cover costs of the event
- Writing a number of teachers resources that help teachers (and other people working with kids) understand how they can integrate creating and submitting ideas into their student’s activities
- Writing a inspiring and engaging kit that explains to kids what the conference is all about and how they can get involved
- Securing media coverage of the event
- Liaising with selected schools to get them engaged with the project
- Building required web functionality for online submission
- Building and maintaining a branded social media presence (specifically in Facebook and Twitter)
As the project evolves, I will post here if there are other areas that we are looking for help with. We will be particularly keen to get as much help as we can in a few weeks when we have material promoting the conference that we want to get to as many people in and around the education sector as possible.
Spread the word. Much obliged.
TEDxYouth@Sydney | ph. 0414 455 530 | www.tedxyouthsydney.com